Thursday, May 28, 2009

Love being a mother

This year Mother's Day was a little monumental for me. Not only was I remembering the illness my family had last year...yuck, but I started REALLY understanding what Mother's Day is all about.

I woke up to little voices tell me "Happy Modders Day!" (without being reminded) and it just melted my heart!

Then, on the way to church, Olivia said, "Mother's Day and Father's Day are my favorite holidays"

"Why? Even more than Christmas?" I ask.

"Well, I just want you two to know I love you. I don't need any more toys. I already have too much".

I about cried.


After lunch we went to the Victorian Tea Garden for their special brunch...talk about DELICIOUS!!! Then, we came home and I got a NAP! Woo-hoo!! That got me thinking... I really started realizing that I didn't care about getting gifts on Mother's Day. I just wanted to be appreciated. Isn't that what all moms want anyway? So, I started reassessing what I'd done/given my own mom over the years. I think acts of service are so much more important to moms than a gift.. Now, Olivia had been working on a special card for me all week, but it was the effort into it that I appreciated so much. And I got the best gift from Brian...to have a relaxing day where I didn't have to lift a finger... Talk about heaven on earth!!

I think I may start doing something for my mom each year instead of getting her gifts that may or may not be all that special... Besides, who needs more stuff? Ha!

No comments: