Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The end of an era


This past weekend, we moved my Mamaw out of the house she has lived in for decades and into an assisted living facility. Her new 'home' is beautiful and perfect for an elderly person...but that doesn't make it easy to leave the place that so many have called home for so many years.

I think I had been thinking about the move for a while (knowing it was coming...just not knowing when) and I had decided that I wanted to photograph some of the landmark items in the house that I never wanted to forget. So this past weekend, I got my chance.







Mamaw's 1st grade picture



I always loved this picture of us.


Then there are memories I have that there are no photographs for...like the metal roller skates I loved skating up and down the driveway in...the little dog, Snowball, that I used to play with through the fence...playing badmitton over the cable lines...laying in bed with my sister as a little girl and listening to The Night Before Christmas and realizing for the very first time that it doesn't HAVE to snow ON Christmas...playing with the Simon game and yo-yos...eating butter cookies on my fingers...Papaw's tub of bubble gum...the deep freeze that ALWAYS had ice cream in it for us...taking a glass of orange juice to my Papaw in the mornings...watching him watch Love Connection at night...knowing where the spare key was...listening to the old record player play 'does your chewing gum loose its' flavor on your bedpost overnight?'...playing with the paddlepool games...eating at the 'kids' table for Thanksgiving meals...swinging on the porch drinking iced tea...watching the June Bugs buzz around outside while eating homemade ice cream... The list could go on and on. And I'll probably add to it as I go along.

So after we had Mamaw's things moved into her new apartment, we had a big cookout and a cake for her.




It was a long weekend for everyone involved, but I am so glad my family was able to be apart of it. I know my kids didn't meet my Papaw, but I never want them to forget being there with my Mamaw... There has been a lot of history and good memories in that house. It was always full of love and laughter (not to mention GREAT food). Everyone was welcome there, always. Truly, the more the merrier with them.



So goodbye, 1135 Gilbert Drive... I always want to remember you this way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this Amy. It's hard when life comes to this point. I felt the same way when we had to move my grandparents into an assisted living facility...leaving the house they'd lived in for over 50 years. I also poured through my photos making sure I had the ones that reminded me of those special memories at grandma's. I'm glad you had the chance to capture a few of those for yourself too.

Amy said...

This post will mean so much to you and your girls thru the years. So much history is lost when not documented in words and pictures.

Courtney said...

I wish I had something like taht to look back on from my family - those are precious memories not quickly forgotten. It makes me want to settle down quick somewhere I am gonna be forever so that my kids can build childhood memories there! :)